What should I do if I am considered a suspect in a crime?

What do I need to know about getting a DUI?



How are Juveniles treated in California Criminal Law?

What is the Deferred Entry Judgment Program (DEJ) for Juveniles?

Knowledge is Power.
Laws were designed to protect the innocent.
The constitution clearly states that you must be considered innocent until all reasonable doubt has been removed.

We hope you will find the information on this page useful and informative.

Please feel free to share this information with anyone  you think would find it helpful. Call us at
209-581-2985 if you have further questions or need more specific information.

When you are arrested as a suspect in a crime, the mission of the police and district attorney is to get a conviction, whether you are innocent or not. Whatever you say, can and will be used to further this goal. You need to protect yourself.

1. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT. Be polite, but do not offer any information or answer any questions. Politely say that you would like an attorney to be present.

2. DO NOT LIE OR DO ANYTHING THAT COULD BE INTERPRETED AS OBSTRUCTING AN INVESTIGATION. Even if you have not committed a crime and you are not guilty, lying or obstructing an investigation is an offense in itself that could land you in prison. Rather than lying or obscuring the truth, politely repeat that you would like to have your attorney present before you can answer any questions.

3. DO NOT WAIVE ANY RIGHTS. Law enforcement does not have the legal right to search your home, car, or personal records without a search warrant. Do not let yourself be talked into an illegal search, no matter how nice the police are being.


FOR MORE INFORMATION, please download this common sense pamphlet from the California State Bar “What should I know if I'm arrested?“ (click here)

READ THIS very helpful guide, ADULT CRIMINAL PROCEDURE, published by the Santa Clara District Attorney's Office, for a step by step view of the California criminal justice process.

Almost a quarter of a million youths are arrested in California every year. Almost all of them are sent to Juvenile Court.  Juvenile court is separate from adult criminal court and is designed to meet the special needs of children and teenagers charged with crimes. Juvenile courts are also designed to rehabilitate, counsel and educate children, unlike adult criminal courts which are more likely to focus on punishment.


Doug has handled thousands of juvenile court cases in his career including a 2 year assignment to Juvenile Court as a senior deputy district attorney. He is currently appointed by the Stanislaus County Superior Court to handle juvenile cases for indigent minors who are accused of very serious criminal activity including homicide, gang cases, robbery and burglary. He is intimately familiar with  Juvenile court procedure and the significant differences between juvenile and adult court.  If you are responsible for a juvenile who has been taken into custody and are urgent need of our services, call Doug Maner today at 209-581-2985

First time Juvenile felony offenders may be eligible for a special program called Deferred Entry of Judgment. If completed successfully, the case will be dismissed and the record sealed. Certain conditions and requirements apply that you need to know about.

FOR MORE INFORMATION, read Doug Maner's fact sheet, What is the Deferred Entry Judgment Program? (click here)

Doug has successfully handled Juvenile cases for  his entire criminal career including an assignment in  Stanislaus County Court exclusively handling Juvenile cases including Gang cases. If you are responsible for a Juvenile who has been taken into custody and are in urgent need of our legal services, call Doug Maner today at 209-581-2985

The "drunk driving" statute operates against you if you are above .08%, or were driving "under the influence" of alcohol or drugs (including prescription drugs).

Were you pulled over after having a few drinks? Were you “weaving” in the lane or driving badly? Did you forget to turn your headlights on? Were you stopped at a DUI checkpoint? Were you pulled over at night? Douglas Maner, a dedicated Stanislaus County DUI Attorney will uncover every detail of your case. Minor details can make a world of difference in Stanislaus County  DUI matters before the Superior Court and DMV.

FOR MORE INFORMATION, read Doug Maner's fact sheet, ARRESTED FOR DUI? NOW WHAT? (click here)

DOUG MANER is an experienced DUI Defense lawyer who can help can help assess your DUI case legally and factually - whether you are from California or Out-of-State. He has successfully defended numerous DUI cases over the past 10 years. If you have been arrested for a DUI and are in urgent need of our legal services, call Doug Maner today at 209-581-2985

The number of Parole Grants given in the last few years has drastically increased with many more lifers receiving parole dates that ever before.

The Board of Prison Hearings is currently undergoing a significant change in the parole hearing process, and it’s critical that your attorney be familiar with the way the Board is currently operating in order to maximize your loved one’s chances at getting paroled. The number of Parole Grants given in the last few years has drastically increased with many more lifers receiving parole dates that ever before. It is critical that any inmate with a parole hearing pending to do everything possible to maximize his\her ability to succeed in the current environment.


Doug Maner is one of California‘s leading Parole experts. He has intimate knowledge of the lifer  prisoner parole process. He has been attending lifer hearings since the mid 1990s and has litigated over 100 lifer hearings in his career. He trained the  Attorneys at the Stanislaus County District Attorney's office on procedures for conducting  lifer hearings and was responsible for that offices handling of all lifer hearings for well over a decade.  Doug has served on the California Deputy District Attorneys Lifer Committee since 2003, working with District Attorneys throughout the state. His expertise, both as counsel and trainer in parole law  is widely recognized throughout the California.

If you or an incarcerated loved one needs to prepare for a parole hearing, please call Doug Maner today at 209-581-2985

My husband is serving a life sentence, but I just heard that he might be eligible for parole. What can I do to help him?

What do I do if I miss my court date? What happens if I do?

I'd call the courts and ask. You may have an arrest warrant pending, plus additional fines for failing to appear. You should be able to clear this up pretty quickly on your own if you put your case back on calendar, apologize to the judge and have proof of compliance.....

If I have a bench warrant in California and get pulled over for a traffic stop say in Nevada would they arrest me?

Yes you are subject to arrest and extradition. Definitely hire a lawyer and take care of your warrant. Life is too short to be always looking over your shoulder .....

From which date does the traffic school count the 18 months?

The date you were cited is the operative date.

Can my car insurance deny coverage of my vehicle due to a DUI?

The most important thing that you can do right now is to immediately retain an experienced defense lawyer to represent you in your DUI case. If you successfully defend the charges, your insurance problems will go away. You also need to protect your rights with the DMV. Be sure not to overlook that, as the DMV suspension can be arranged to overlap the suspension the court will impose if you're convicted.

I got a speeding ticket going “91“ but my truck can‘t even pass 85. What should I do? Also, my name was misspelled. Is it voided?

The misspelling of the name won't help you with the courts; nor will your possible defense of " My truck can't go that fast". Assuming that the officer either paced you or radared  you, his testimony will have more credibility than your claim that your truck couldn't go that fast. Perhaps you should consider traffic school? Sorry, I know that this isn't what you wanted to hear.

I read that California's Governor passed a Sentencing Commission to early release 2nd strikers that have done more than 1/2 their time. Is this correct?

The Board of Prison Hearings is aware of this issue and is recalculating these sentences. Due to the large number of inmates, this will take some time. I'd call them in a few months to make sure they process your case before your new release date gets too close. Here's a link to their website, which gives more information for you.

Below are Doug's answers to actual reader questions from his postings on


OR BY CELL AT 209-315-5898


WEBSITE: ©Douglas D. Maner, Criminal Defense Attorney, 2015-2016. All Rights Reserved.